When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie, that’s amore
When the world seems to shine
Like you’ve had too much wine, that’s amore
– from That’s Amore by Dean Martin (That song always plays when I go to my fave candy shop. I think it adds to their hypnotic appeal. Like a music box that can play only one tune and but makes you move that turn key again and again)
Oh amore! Pizza is love. isn’t it? The aroma draws you near. The melted cheese captures you. And the first bite, will own you forever. Oh the drama. But seriously, you can put almost anything on it and who doesn’t love that?
Anyways I made Pizza Marinara.
Pizza Dough: 1 cup plain flour, plus extra for kneading
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
2/3 cup lukewarm water
cooking oil, for greasing
Toppings: 140g pizza sauce
350g marinara mix
1 white onion, sliced
a handful black olives, sliced
250g mozzarella cheese, grated
– Mix the flour, yeast, salt and mixed herbs in a bowl.
– Make a well in the center and add the water to bind it all together.
– Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes (Use extra flour when needed) until the dough forms a smooth ball.
– Grease a bowl and a piece of cling wrap with cooking oil. Place the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with the cling wrap.
– Place the bowl in a warm, draft-free place and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
– When the dough has risen punch it down with your fist.
– Turn it out on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
– Roll out the dough to make 1 large pizza or four small ones.
– Go crazy with the toppings or follow how I placed the toppings on the photos above.