Hi there! Whether you’re back to work or still lounging around in vacation spirit I have a bit of honey to sweeten up your day. I only thought about doing something with a bit of honey because I’m trying to reduce sugar for dad which is super hard because all my favourite recipes have mountains of refined sugar and I am not about to turn my sweet tooth around. Ugh. Maybe if I was an expert baker I wouldn’t have such a problem with these things but oh well. I’ll just try not too bake as much. Yeah right who am I kidding?
This cake’s moist and so easy to make. Actually, the hardest thing I did here was to line up the almonds.
Then take a little slice for that special someone (myself).
Aw. Hope that made you smile. Or drool. Haha.
Honey Almond Lemon Cake
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
Zest of 2 lemons (or one really large lemon), finely grated
Juice of 2 lemons (or one really large lemon)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cup honey
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
– In a small bowl mix buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
– In a medium bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder
– In another bowl, cream butter and honey with an electric mixer then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
– While mixing on low add the flour mixture in three parts alternating with the buttermilk mixture (two parts). Beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until the mixture is smooth.
– Place the batter on the cake pan and smooth the top.
– Place the almonds on top of the batter, just pressing slightly.
– Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
– Cool for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan.