The cold has been steadily creeping into our house. Making blankets and fluffy slippers crucial in my home attire everyday. It also makes me extra lazy, ask my parents. I just want to snuggle in a corner and warm myself with some hot chocolate with marshmallows and watch Jessica Sanchez on Youtube. But American Idol is over (well it’s extra late here in NZ but I don’t mind- so technically not over here yet) and I need to get off my bum and move around. And what better motivation to move than making comfort food. Not just any comfort food. Brownies!
So I made sort of s’mores brownies. Sort of just because it doesn’t have graham crackers (they’re not easily found around here) and I topped it with sliced Moro Gold bar instead of the usual Hershey’s I see on the internet–there aren’t any Hershey’s in the grocery and I couldn’t be bothered going to a candy shop (plus it’s dangerous for my self-control).
So we start off with chopped dark chocolate. Cadbury was on sale so yay!
A bunch of mixing and messing about in the kitchen and you end up with this pool of chocolate filled batter. Can you imagine a bathtub of this?
And then poof! Well after you bake the brownies. You’ll let them stand for a minute while you change the oven temperature. You sprinkle it with mini marshmallows and watch the magic. You really have to watch it lest you burn your marshmallows.
Then drop the chocolate and watch them melt. It was cold in the house so I had to pop them for a few seconds in the oven.
Then grab a slice of the ooey gooey marshmallowy fudgy little piece of comfort happiness;
Mine had a face when I first sliced it. Haha.
“Please, don’t eat me. Nooooooooo…”
I’m sorry Mr. SmoBrow. I want to consume you. Mwahahaha.
So that was yummy and quite easy. You can even use a brownie mix to make it even easier. I used Donna Hay’s classic brownie recipe from the Oct-Nov 2011 issue of her magazine. That issue and the next one after it were free on iPad so.. yay!
I’m getting hungry just by putting up this post. Oh well. I could always make more. Mmm…yeah.
Brownies (from Donna Hay Oct-Nov 2011)
400g dark chocolate, chopped
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
One Moro Gold bar, sliced or Hershey’s Bar cut into segments
optional: Graham Crackers, chopped
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
– Place half the chocolate and the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Then allow to cool slightly.
– Mix the chocolate mixture with the brown sugar, eggs and flour in a bowl. Then add the remaining chocolate pieces to the mixture.
– Place in a baking tray and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
– When you’ve taken the brownies out of the oven, change the oven temperature to 200-230 degrees Celsius.
– Place the marshmallows on top of the brownies, cover all the brownie surface then place in the oven.
– The brownies should be 6-8 inches from the heating element. Toast the marshmallows til golden. 60-90 seconds is about alright. You have to keep an eye on it.
– Then take the brownies out of the oven and sprinkle with chocolate pieces. If the chocolate pieces don’t melt enough pop them in oven for a few seconds.