Who doesn’t want a little bit of the classic? Sure chocolate cupcakes are everywhere, they’re in cafes, the supermarket aisle, in the ready-to-bake boxes. But c’mon nothing beats making your own, yeah?
I love this cupcake. It’s simple and not that rich. And it’s topped by my family’s all-time favourite frosting. Creamy vanilla. You should’ve seen my mom’s and sister’s faces when I told them there was excess frosting. They probably would’ve licked the mixing bowl if I let them. This also the frosting I use for red velvet cupcakes. So yeah it’s awesome.
Ah cupcake batter almost good enough to eat,haha. I had to chew gum while baking so I don’t get tempted to eat everything. Self-control issues.
freshly baked and ready to mingle…
…with frosting! (well you know, after cooling. put on your patient pants)
gif magic time!…dig the ghost’s grave, salt and burn the bones. Congratulations! You just eradicated the restless ghost of so and so. (What’s that? I’m off topic? Where’s Sam and Dean? Okay okay…go back to cupcake. Stop fangirling about Supernatural.)
So dig a hole…err spoon some cupcake out then fill it with frosting. Ta-dah! Filled cupcake! You can cover it if you want. I uh…ate the cupcake bits I dug out. So no cover for me.
Then pipe some frosting on top!
I know…my piping skills suck…(T_T) It’s a good thing these taste great. I’d get C- for presentation. They look so wonky. Can I say a small child made it?
Aw yeah sprinkled some milo on top too. You can sprinkle whatever. Or go fancy, place some chocolate shavings or curls. Oooh.
Cross-section view. Bam!
So that’s all the cupcakes I have for you now. I missed my blog. I hope you missed me too. Haha. I had to cram a bunch of essays. I’m still cramming a bunch of them, right now…hehe procrastiblogging. yeah.
If you want to procrastibake with me here’s how to make them.
Chocolate Cupcakes from Joy Of Baking
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
1 1/3 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
113g butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup milk
225g butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
– Start by making the frosting first, whisk together plain flour and milk in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and constantly stir for 8-10 mins until mixture becomes thick and starts to bubble. Place baking paper directly on the mixture’s surface. Leave to cool for at least 30 mins.
– Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
– In a small bowl, stir boiling water and cocoa powder until smooth. Let it cool.
– In a different bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
– In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
– Add eggs one at a time. Then add the vanilla.
– Add the flour mixture, beat only until this is incorporated.
– Add the cooled cocoa mixture. Stir until smooth.
– Fill muffin tins with mixture. Filling each hole 2/3s full. Bake in the oven for 16-20 mins when it’s springy to touch or toothpick comes out clean.
– For frosting, beat butter in a large bowl for 3 minutes, until it’s smooth and creamy.
– Add sugar and beat for another 2-3 minutes til fluffy.
– Add the vanilla and beat well.
– Add cooled milk mixture and beat for 5 mins til frosting looks noticeably white in colour.
– Cover and refrigerate for 15 mins.
– Place frosting on cooled cupcakes.