Awesome time to cuddle up with comfort foods. Like brownies. Yes I cuddle with food. Don’t judge. And my Hello Kitty plushies.
So we start off with good ol’ chocolates and butter. I’m like a compulsive butter buyer. When I’m a grocery store where the butter is on sale I can’t help but buy butter even when I don’t need to. It’s the same for chocolate too. The upside is that I’m always ready for brownies.
I first made these for my sister’s birthday. She loves red velvet so I made it a thing to make any red velvet on her birthday. My sister is into fake blood–she has a bottle of fake blood on her desk—so this is kind of an homage to that interest. Hahhaa. Reeeeeeeedddddddd.
They’re bright red and then turn blood red after you mix the chocolate mixture. Oooooh.
The cheesecake component of these babies come in the form of these cute clumps. Cream cheese mixture plopped onto the brownie batter. *Plop* I really want to eat this by itself already *Plop* but I really want to see how it will turn out *Plop* I can always lick the bowl afterwards. Hahha
Ach…honestly this is not as good as the first time I made it. The cheesecake browned and the red is not as vibrant as I want. My first try was way better, which is weird because I did that one in the evening in low light–it didn’t occur to me that I should open the kitchen lights when the sun’s going…
So here’s bits of the better one I made. Nom nom nom. You need to make these brownies if you want to be showered with praises. I made this when my sister’s friends came over and my head got so bloated with compliments. *bows*
It’s good. C’mon it’s cheesecake and brownies.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
113g unsalted butter
100g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (or use buttons)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a baking pan.
– Melt the butter and chocolate in pan over low heat. Stir together until everything is melted and smooth. Set aside.
– In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla and red food colouring. Add chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
– Add flour and salt and combine until no white streaks remain. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan.
– In another bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until until smooth.
– Distribute cream cheese on the brownie mixture in 8 dollops. Swirl together with a knife.
– Bake for 35-40 minutes. Til a knife comes out clean when inserted.
– Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before lifting out the brownies.